Friday, February 27, 2009

I would if I could...

Another two weeks to go for me to be back home in India after more than six months, the longest I've stayed away from home ever. I was making a list of things I want to bring back with me and thought of the many other things I would carry back if I could. Like -
  • Rickshaws and the (mostly) friendly rickshaw-wallas, especially those outside Andheri station. I know now what prompted Himesh-bhai to include them in that scene of Aap Kaa Suroor shot in Germany.
  • The sound of the local train announcer at Andheri station - such a familiar and comforting one.
  • The smell of the Raat Rani which instantly reminds me of Pune and lazy, long summer vacations spent reading, playing and drinking nimbu-paani.
  • Wada-pav
  • Twinkling stars I see shining above my parents house in Pune. I have not seen a single one in Dubai ever.
  • Electricity cuts and the swearing thereafter, followed by the sounds of the hunt for a candle which later graduated to the hum of the inverter.
  • Unexpected visitors dropping by to say hello. I used to hate it when it happened but now I don't even know my neighbours.
  • Long and friendly chats with Suman - my erstwhile cook and Amlu - my domestic help with whom I have shared many a cup of coffee.
  • The women in the ladies compartment of my favourite 9.46 to Churchgate. All those who asked me my age, marital status, family background, religion, caste and mother tongue in our first and only encounter.
  • Stray dogs and the occasional lick or wag of tail.
  • The racket the 12-odd cats at my mother's house make the moment Amma is out in the garden.
  • A nice, hot cup of tea made by Amma
  • Good friends and long therapeutic chats with them.
  • Sunday as part of the weekend.
  • That part of me which I've left behind in Mumbai which is probably roaming aimlessly between Andheri and Lower Parel.
The list is long and unending, but these are some of the things I would carry back with me if I could...

1 comment:

Subhadip said...

:)
That's some nostalgic list!