Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My driving...the saga continues....

…so I am still struggling with my driving lessons. The latest is that I am waiting for my new instructor. I have asked for a male instructor now only because all the lady instructors seemed to get really nervous when I drove (I think I’m infamous in the driving school and can feel all eyes on me when I enter the yard and hunt for car no. 79). My last instructor resorted to chanting prayers loudly, with me sitting right next to her, especially after I bumped into the dustbin (which was very embarrassing because I was driving at a speed of 40, in the yard of the driving school, with no incoming traffic). I am hoping that my new instructor is the calm sort who keeps his cool in all manners of adversity. And I’m not being sexist or anti-feminist; I’m just following my instincts and feel that a male instructor might finally be able to do the trick.
Asking for a male instructor was quite a task in itself. I first needed a no-objection letter from my sponsor (my office in this case). Then my office came up with the assumption that no wannabe lady driver can get a male instructor even if she wants one. So then I had to tell them that I had checked with the driving school and all I needed was a no-objection letter, so surely they cannot object to my having a no-objection letter? Then they told me that since they do not issue letters of this kind often, they wanted me to write out the contents of the same. So then I wrote the letter and managed to get it from them on a letter head. Phew!
I went to the driving school all armed with the no-objection letter and was told that I needed another no-objection letter saying that I do not object to myself having a male instructor. Thinking that I imagined the conversation I clarified again whether I really needed to give that letter considering that I myself had asked for a male instructor for myself. But apparently you have to have something like that on record, especially for the road transport authorities, so I promptly wrote out that letter too. It’s been three weeks since the surreal experience of writing a no-objection letter for myself, and I’ve been told that I’ll be assigned a new instructor soon.
I’m hoping that he will be all that I hope and pray for! My husband, in the tender moments of our new marriage, after he sat in the car while I drove, told me that I drive like a brainless twit :)I wonder what kind of a reaction I will get from my new instructor.
On a more serious note I wish people would take me seriously when I say that I cannot move more than two body parts at the same time. I’ve known this all along, and using my eyes, hands, legs and brains while driving is too much for me to handle. I also believe that I was born to be driven around, but my husband just ignores me when I say that.
So, I am still struggling with my driving lessons…………….

4 comments:

Anuradha said...

Best of luck for your driving lessons,Women in general are famous for not being good drivers there are some exceptions you know whom I am referring to :)

BTW , watch the movie happy go lucky since you are also into driving :)

Kanchan said...

Yes, I know who are you referring to :) I read up on Happy-go-lucky, seems like my kind of movie. Though the last thing I need is an angry instructor like Scott...

Subhadip said...

Ha ha... that's really funny... must have missed this post earlier.

"My last instructor resorted to chanting prayers loudly" - How I wish you had videotaped that and put it on Youtube :)

And wow! Getting a "male" instructor can be such a pain?

Anonymous said...

Good stuff Kanchan. Please remind me not to allow you to drive whenever we do decide to go out together!!
Meanwhile, all the best, though i dont know whether i should be wishing you or your instructor!!!
On a serious note - hope you clear it soon.....without flattening too many rubbish bins!