Thursday, February 12, 2009

Does every day have a motif?

Last night, on my way back home from work, I was thinking about what this week had been like and I came up with an interesting observation. Almost all days of this week seemed to have a motif.
On Sunday I found out that three of my friends were pregnant.
On Monday I made friends with two dogs, whom I bumped into accidentally. One does not come across dogs in Dubai the way one does in India. There are no stray dogs here and for some strange reason I have met very few people who have adopted dogs. So coming across two absolutely adorable dogs, in one day, was a treat for a dog lover like me.
On Tuesday, I witnessed a minor road accident on my way back home from work. A few hours later my husband came back home and said that he, too, witnessed an accident on his way home. (And we were not talking about the same one)
On Wednesday, my day began with a very happy mail from my sister, who had to still get over the fact that she actually saw Andy Roddick and Pete Sampras in action. They were playing at the SAP Open, the annual tennis tournament held in the Bay area. And in the evening two of my colleagues were extremely thrilled to get a photograph with Shaggy, who had come to our radio station for an interview. Shaggy is performing in Dubai this evening. Celebrities, and the excitement they bring to the lives of some people seemed to be the motif yesterday.
This made me wonder – does each day have a motif or is all of this just a random coincidence? Maybe there are days when the motif is subtle – maybe in the form of an emotion or a thought form and hence we do not even realize that it’s there, and then there are days like this week’s where things happen and you go – I just heard of something like this a few hours ago and here it is again.

3 comments:

Subhadip said...

Hmm... never thought about it this way. But the way people are superstitious here, I don't want them to think about motifs and meanings in weekdays. Another column will soon appear on dailies, suggesting what to expect; and people will actually read them!

BTW, I listened to the radio stations: I had no clue what they were playing on Radio1 (guess I am getting out-dated), but Radio2 was pretty cool. Wish you success with the new program.

Kanchan said...

The reason I love blogging is because you get a different perspective on things. I was thinking more like each day having a motif and thus 365 motifs through the year as against one for each day of the week.The latter will surely spread like wild fire in India :)
I too have a tough time keeping track of what's on radio 1. I'm in the music department so there's no escaping those songs....

Sangita said...

Intriguing....never paid attention before. I'll keep track for a while now :)