Thursday, January 8, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

I got the opportunity to watch Slumdog Millionaire during the Dubai International Film Festival that concluded about three weeks ago. I’d heard a lot about it and was keen to watch a movie shot in India, but directed by an English director. I liked the story and the concept of every question of KBC going back to a story in Jamal’s life was something I could relate too.

Yet, I cannot say I enjoyed the movie. As an Indian, I am aware and conscious of what is not right in my country. I know there is poverty, corruption and filth, the list is long, but I also know that my country is rich in culture and history. It is an intelligent, hard working and progressive nation and my problem with Slumdog Millionaire is that the movie showed only what was bad or sad without once showing the other side of India and more particularly of Mumbai.

Coming so soon after the Mumbai terror attacks it might seem strange to say anything good about Mumbai at all, but having lived in Mumbai for twelve wonderful years I vouch for the fact that there is no city like Mumbai. I have not been to a city that welcomes you, cares for you and makes room for you as much as Mumbai does.

Slumdog Millionaire was extremely well received by the audience and so many of my colleagues have loved it. A colleague was surprised with my reservations about it and thought I was being sensitive about my country. I believe in the power of cinema and I feel that it is the responsibility of the director to perceive accurately and express correctly what he/she wants to. I guess I am being sensitive – it’s my country and I love it and I wasn’t particularly thrilled to watch some of the things shown in the movie. Or maybe I’m just an old fashioned believer of every cloud having it’s silver lining and I didn’t see the silver lining in this case.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That's exactly how i felt when i read Arvind Addiga's White Tiger. The book is all about the negatives of India and as with Slumdog, i can understand why it catches the fancy of the 'foreign' world. They love it when an Indian criticizes his own country, tho in this case it was not an Indian director. Something i again felt when i heard Russel Peters - he is no doubt a brilliant performer but he denigrates India and Indians too much.

Binesh Panicker said...

I haven’t watched the movie as yet. However, I do buy your point. A movie should portray every aspect of anything or anyone it focuses on. I don’t think anybody can write authentically about Mumbai without living in that city for a substantial amount of time. In fact, I have met and interacted with many people who have lived in Mumbai for year, but still haven’t managed to explore and understand the city so well. So I think we should not give undue importance to such movies as they are nothing but superficial. After reading your blog, I do feel like watching movie though. Let me watch it and I am sure I will have much more to say then.

Kanchan said...

I've had a copy of White Tiger with me since two months but somehow am not motivated enough to start reading it. My sensitivity surprises me...I've always loved my country but didn't think I'd take a movie made on it so personally!

Anonymous said...

hmm! now even m thinkin abt the buzz this movie is making! wanna watch it too! will do it this week, its rel here this weeek!

Kanchan said...

Ani,
Let me know what you think of it when you watch it.

Akshay Kalawar said...

I agree. I thought it was a pathetic movie and did not draw any positives from it. All it showed is poverty, corruption and "hope" for I don't know what! What was he trying to make? pretty woman?

I was surprised TZP or Lagaan didn't win Oscars... and this stupid one's been nominated for 10. Ghor Kalyug!!!