Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Fear of driving....

I am in the midst of my driving lessons in Dubai and have already finished my first 20 lessons and have recently signed up for the next 10. I have a good teacher but my biggest challenge is getting over my fear – a fear that is so intense and irrational that it scares me at times. I wish I had learnt to drive earlier – I cannot even cycle and have somehow convinced myself that I am incapable of moving more than two body parts at the same time. I’ve read up articles on the internet about the fear of driving and am glad to know that it is fairly common and if one works on it one is able to overcome it eventually. I wake up every morning telling myself that I am learning something new and it is going to great fun.

As I write this I am reminded of the Dragon Boat racing competition my radio station (Radio 2, 99.3/106) took part in about two months ago. Part of the team was made of our listeners who’d signed up for this event and the other half of my colleagues, who like me, were interested in trying their hand at something new. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d tried doing something new, and the whole experience was truly worth it.





We started our training sessions in Abu Dhabi, a fortnight before the competition. We had a fantastic view of the Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan mosque, which is probably one of the biggest and a national landmark in Abu Dhabi. The Radio 2 team was a lively and noisy one and our’s was a wonderfully diverse group, with probably the most number of women in it. Cheers to woman-power!

We were told to focus on getting our rhythm right. “Put in the best you have in the first five strokes and then chug forward in unison”. The term Dragon Boat originated in China and is a long and narrow human powered boat. It requires team work, power and rhythm to get that thing zooming ahead. I can’t say our boat zoomed ahead, but we managed to keep it afloat and move forward without incident. (read accident) We didn’t do particularly well in the finals, we came last, but we laughed through the whole competition and came out feeling good about ourselves.

I’m going to go for my driving lesson tomorrow thinking about all the fun I had during the dragon boat race. Maybe it’ll help….maybe…….

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This was a good event! Tho i would be too embarrassed to be part of it again!
Driving - believe me, you will wonder y u were nervous a few years down the line. Experienced exactly what you are going thru now. Dont worry you'l be a pro sooon! And then you will have other drivers worry!!!

Kanchan said...

I don't mind the dragon boat racing again...but today's class in which I did the lane changing on the main road was terible. I almost gave my instructor a heart attack :)

Anonymous said...

I want to contribute something in this blog about driving fears and phobias.

I found this special report in the internet the other day about a subject regarding to the “10 Keys To Eliminating Fear of Driving”. and I found it very helpful and inspiring to read.

The author Alex Hunter displayed a very informative report about eliminating a fear of driving. He shared a very useful approach in improving and developing your skill as a driver. Also he showed expert knowledge about the problem on hand.