Monday, April 12, 2010

Such is life.....

Last Tuesday my colleague Noufal received a call from the police saying that his friend had met with an accident. Even before he could reach the hospital he got another call saying that his friend had died on the spot. Noufal took the rest of the week off to fly to India with his friend's body, attend the funeral and also take care of the paperwork involved in the two countries.

I met Noufal at work yesterday and we were chatting about how unpredictable life is. For Noufal this was the second friend he lost to an accident in Dubai in three years. This friend got married just eight months ago. Noufal's wife and daughter - just an infant of six months, are in Kerala and after this incident he is under pressure from family to either return to India or to get his wife and daughter to Dubai.

It takes something like this to remind us, yet again, of how precious lfe is. I hate it when I get those 'goody-goody' emails on life, love, time etc but this incident made me think about how true they are. It also gave me the chance to look at my life from another perspective - for the time being atleast.......

2 comments:

Butterfly said...

I can relate to your post a lot. Four years ago, one of my cousins lost her husband in a car accident in Oman after they had been married for just a year, with no children. Since then, life's been very uncertain for my cousin. One really can never say anything about life and death...how one's life can change completely overnight...

Kanchan said...

Hi Butterfly,

Yes, so many lives change in just a minute. I lost my cousin in a road accident in Bangalore in 1997...
We must not take our being alive for granted!