Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Hauz Khas Deer Park


Around a fortnight ago, I watched this very disturbing news report. It was on the pitiable condition of the deer at the Hauz Khas Deer Park, New Delhi. Almost all of them are sick and injured. They have open wounds, that are left untreated and more than half of them do not even have their horns on them. One image that I saw is going to stay with me, to haunt me, for a long time. It was that of a sick deer that was so weak that it was lying down lifeless. A crow was trying to peck at its wounds and this poor deer did not even have the strength to shoo off the crow! There is no veterinary doctor on the campus of the deer park.

Going by what I read on the net, the Deer Park is supposedly one of the main tourist attractions of Hauz Khas. Unable to forget the images I watched, I tried to contact the Deer Park to enquire if a donation from me would help the cause of the deer. With no contact details listed on the net my next best bet was Peta, India with whom I have been associated in the past. I spoke to Anuradha Sawhney there and she said that this is the condition of most animals at zoos and circuses in India. Infact things are particularly bad in north-east India. I donated some money to Peta, feeling that in some way I have contributed towards the betterment of these innocent and helpless animals.

Please do not advocate visits to the zoo and circus. The animals there are kept hungry, and are not well looked after. Most of them are lonely and depressed and death is the only respite for them. Just a couple of days later I read about animals in this zoo in Orissa going hungry for a day because the staff was on strike.

The best way to do something for them is to personally volunteer at the zoo. However, if that is not possible even a small donation helps. On such organization I know of is PETA India. Those interested can send their cheques written in favour of Peta, India and post it to –

PETA INDIA, P.O. BOX 28260, JUHU, MUMBAI 400 049.

I am not a member of Peta and this is not an advertisement for them, but this was the only thing I could think of doing for this cause. Do write to me if you know of a better way to help.

No comments: